Here are some comments:
1. Some students talking about getting married at a young age. They said it was stupid for a couple to marry so young because they will never last, but I think that that is not true. Love can come to people at different times, so I don’t see why it’s such a big deal if someone wants to get married when they are 18 years old. We are capable of making our own decisions at that point and knowing what is right or wrong. I know many couples who got married right out, of high school and have been married 50 years! (Including my grandparents). Everyone is saying that you should have a career established first and be financially stable before you even think about getting married. But you know what? Having someone supporting you the whole way can probably make the process a whole lot easier. I know a lot of you will disagree with me and say that it’s stupid to get married at a young age, but I really don’t see the downside of it. Sure, you may not be as rich or educated yet, but they sure can get there with time. Why wait four more years if they know they are going to he happy with each other? I can understand if you aren’t out of high school yet, because that is usually before you turn 18 and a high school diploma is really big. It can get you into jobs that you don’t need a college degree for, but you need some sort of education in you.
So can someone please tell me why getting married at a young age is so bad?
2. Some people think that it’s bad for young people to get married because they don’t fully know themselves and are subsequently in no position to share their lives with someone else.
Also, young people have other responsibilities, such as adapting to adulthood through work, college, whatever. Why add marriage to what when it can wait?
I think it’s up to the individual, but I can see some of the negative points.
3. There are some people at 18 or 19 years old that are just not mature enough to handle a marriage and the responsibility of being on their own. Then again, there are some who can make it work. I personally think that it depends on the individuals and their relationship and maturity, not their ages.
4. It depends on if they are ready for marriage or not. Some people are ready for marriage at a younger age than others (and some just think. they are). But, if they have the right mind set, as in “we” instead of “me,” and are ready in other aspects of their life (i.e. financially), then I don’t think it’s that big of a deal While the divorce rate is higher for couples who marry at a younger age, there are some who get married young and stay in a happy marriage for many years….. or the rest of their lives.
1. What’s your opinion about getting married at young age?
2. Do you agree with getting married at young age?
3. Is there negative point in getting marriage at young age?
Edited by Khairil
Presented at MAKES, April 10, 2007